Oracle password problem

From: neilsolent <n_at_solenttechnology.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 09:21:18 -0700 (PDT)

Hi

We have Oracle 8.1.7 on Windows 2000 - and the admin user account passwords have been lost (sys, system etc). I urgently need to login to increase tablespaces!

I have tried this procedure to recover:

  1. Stop the Oracle service of the instance you want to change the passwords of.
  2. Find the PWD###.ora file for this instance, this is usuallly located atC:\oracle\ora81\database\, where ### is the SID of your database.
  3. rename the PWD###.ora file to PWD###.ora.bak for obvious safety reasons.
  4. Create a new pwd file by issuing the command: orapwd file=C:\oracle\ora81\database\PWD###.ora password=XXXXX where ### is the SID and XXXXX is the password you would like to use for the SYS and INTERNAL accounts.
  5. Start the Oracle service for the instance you just fixed. You should be able to get in with the SYS user and change other passwords from there.

But it still says username/password wrong afterwards...

What could I be missing? Could something be corrupted somewhere else?

Many thanks!

Neil Received on Thu Oct 29 2009 - 11:21:18 CDT

Original text of this message