Re: Oracle10g, Catalog and control file

From: ddf <oratune_at_msn.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2009 07:22:33 -0700 (PDT)

On Oct 24, 8:16 am, Fabrice <t..._at_test.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have just configured a catalog for RMAN in another instance.
> I realized some backups before creating the catalog. The synchronization has
> been realized after the creation.
>
> Now, I use the catalog. But I'm suprise by the fact :
>
> 1. that the Controlfile is following to grow.
> 2. either i'm connect to the "control file" or the catalog, the
> command "list backup summary" shows the same result.
>
> Example :
> rman> connect target /
> rman> list backup summary --> Tell me that I'm using the control file. And
> the new backups are displayed.
>
> rman> connect target / catalog rman/rman_at_mycatalog
> rman> list backup summary --> display all the new backups.
>
> I don't understand why I can see the list of all the backups when I'm not
> connect to the catalog.
>
> Thanks for your help.
> fabrice

It's the way RMAN works; it always writes to the controlfile. This allows RMAN to recover a database even after the catalog database has also 'bitten the dust'. You don't stop writing to the controlfile just because you connect to the catalog. I wouldn't have it any other way.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Sat Oct 24 2009 - 09:22:33 CDT

Original text of this message