Re: Oracle10g, Catalog and control file

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell2_at_hp.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2009 14:28:37 -0700 (PDT)

On Oct 24, 10:22 am, ddf <orat..._at_msn.com> wrote:
> On Oct 24, 8:16 am, Fabrice <t..._at_test.com> wrote:
>

> > Hello,
>
> > I have just configured a catalog for RMAN in another instance.
> > I realized some backups before creating the catalog. The synchronization has
> > been realized after the creation.
>
> > Now, I use the catalog. But I'm suprise by the fact :
>
> > 1. that the Controlfile is following to grow.
> > 2. either i'm connect to the "control file" or the catalog, the
> > command "list backup summary" shows the same result.
>
> > Example :
> > rman> connect target /
> > rman> list backup summary --> Tell me that I'm using the control file. And
> > the new backups are displayed.
>
> > rman> connect target / catalog rman/rman_at_mycatalog
> > rman> list backup summary --> display all the new backups.
>
> > I don't understand why I can see the list of all the backups when I'm not
> > connect to the catalog.
>
> > Thanks for your help.
> > fabrice
>
> It's the way RMAN works; it always writes to the controlfile.  This
> allows RMAN to recover a database even after the catalog database has
> also 'bitten the dust'.  You don't stop writing to the controlfile
> just because you connect to the catalog.  I wouldn't have it any other
> way.
>
> David Fitzjarrell- Hide quoted text -

Better yet, if you have only one or two databases that you are backing up with rman you do not need a catalog database at all. The control file is all you need. Your backup will include the control file so in the event you lose your control file you first just restore the control file from the backup then you run a restore using a backup control file.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Sat Oct 24 2009 - 16:28:37 CDT

Original text of this message