Re: UML 2.0 for database modeling versus ER diagrams?

From: Robert Klemme <shortcutter_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 11:58:04 +0200

On 23.07.2009 21:50, dana wrote:

> What does Rational Rose cost. I've been told PowerDesigner is nice as
> well as affordable. Didn't realize Sybase was still in business though.

We use PowerDesigner to model Oracle databases and it works pretty well.   PowerDesigner even supports database specific extensions and data types, so you do not have to add anything manually after generation of DDL.

About the pricing I cannot say anything - that's a different department. :-)

Adding some more cents: IMHO UML is best used for drawing only - I suspect all tools that promise round trip engineering of code. It may work better with database schemata but for programming there are tons of issues partly caused by the sheer number of classes (performance, layout).

Kind regards

        robert

http://blog.rubybestpractices.com/