Re: Rman level 0 incremental backup – why restore needs older backups?

From: John Hurley <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2009 15:56:26 -0700 (PDT)

On Jul 26, 6:31 pm, zigzagdna <zigzag..._at_yahoo.com> wrote:

snip

> I am doing straightforward rman commands which are shown towards the
> end:
> I ran restore database preview to see what backup sets are needed for
> the restore. And preview output shows the latest incremental level 0
> backup sets plus a few archive logs, so I suspect problem is not with
> RMAn but with  VERITAS Netbackup (now Symantec  Netbackup) . Netbackup
> cannot find the backup set in the latest tape, so it goes to a
> pervious day tape (again unsuccessful), a day pervious to previous day
> step and so on. I am doing a DR exercise and DR exercise only took
> one week’s tapes and my backup set was not found on any tape/  I have
> to follow with Netbackup support, why backups are bot being found on
> the tapes.
> Thanks
>
> *** backup  commands***
> Backup as compressed backup set
> Incremental level 0
> Database;
> Backup
> Archivelog
> Delete input;
>
> *** Restore command ***
>
> Set until time..
> Restore database;
> Recover database;
>
> Preview  command is:
> restore database preview

Well what you just said here is a different story that your original post here on this subject.

I am a strong believer in doing rman backups to disk and keeping the most recent complete backup on disk. That might be an approach that your shop might really consider.

Nothing wrong with moving an older no longer needed backup from disk to tape.

If you are really in a major type problem ... do you have time to restore from tape? Let alone go thru things like well I thought we had a good backup on tape.

For future postings on topics like this ... it also might be a good idea to note in your original posting that you are just testing right now. Received on Sun Jul 26 2009 - 17:56:26 CDT

Original text of this message