Re: Removing multiple inventories

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 10:58:54 -0700 (PDT)

On Jul 24, 10:05 am, John Hurley <johnbhur..._at_sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On Jul 24, 9:03 am, Chloe C <ch..._at_mcrowdd.plus.com> wrote:
>
> snip
>
> > Hi
>
> > for reasons I don't fully understand, some of our oracle servers have
> > wound up with two (or in one case three) set of inventory files (one
> > for database, one for EM agent). This has the effect that enterpise
> > manager doesn't report the full picture on servers, and applying
> > patchsets becomes problematic as OUI doesn't know about one of the
> > oracle homes.
>
> > Is there any way of fixing these problem? Presumably the inventories
> > can be merged manually as they are XML files, but this looks like
> > quite a high risk operation!
>
> > Chloe
>
> You really really want to proceed very carefully here.
>
> Multiple inventories are typically the result of installs going into
> different oracle homes.  Merging inventories manually ... I don't
> think so.
>
> You really need a knowledgeable oracle DBA here to understand the
> history ... what was done when and why it was done that way.

If you are on Oracle version 9.2.0.5+ you should be able to edit the oraInst.loc file which is usually located in /etc or /var/opt/oracle on most UNIX versions to point to multiple inventory files. I am not sure where the file resides on Windows servers though I would check the registry before I went searching for the file.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Fri Jul 24 2009 - 12:58:54 CDT

Original text of this message