Re: Removing multiple inventories

From: Mark D Powell <>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 10:58:54 -0700 (PDT)

On Jul 24, 10:05 am, John Hurley <> wrote:
> On Jul 24, 9:03 am, Chloe C <> wrote:
> snip
> > Hi
> > for reasons I don't fully understand, some of our oracle servers have
> > wound up with two (or in one case three) set of inventory files (one
> > for database, one for EM agent). This has the effect that enterpise
> > manager doesn't report the full picture on servers, and applying
> > patchsets becomes problematic as OUI doesn't know about one of the
> > oracle homes.
> > Is there any way of fixing these problem? Presumably the inventories
> > can be merged manually as they are XML files, but this looks like
> > quite a high risk operation!
> > Chloe
> You really really want to proceed very carefully here.
> Multiple inventories are typically the result of installs going into
> different oracle homes.  Merging inventories manually ... I don't
> think so.
> You really need a knowledgeable oracle DBA here to understand the
> history ... what was done when and why it was done that way.

If you are on Oracle version you should be able to edit the oraInst.loc file which is usually located in /etc or /var/opt/oracle on most UNIX versions to point to multiple inventory files. I am not sure where the file resides on Windows servers though I would check the registry before I went searching for the file.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Fri Jul 24 2009 - 12:58:54 CDT

Original text of this message