Re: Connecting to RAC on a different network than the one on which VIP is set up

From: Michael Austin <maustin_at_firstdbasource.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 13:55:55 -0500

pknayar_at_gmail.com wrote:
> On Mar 23, 6:44 pm, Michael Austin <maus..._at_firstdbasource.com> wrote:
>> pkna..._at_gmail.com wrote:

>>> Hi,
>>> I am trying to set up Streams in Oracle 11g between two RAC
>>> databases. Unfortunately the connectivity between the two databases
>>> is on a different network than the one on which the VIP is set up. In
>>> doing sqlplus from one to the other on this other (management)
>>> network, I get these sessions sometimes which just hang for a long
>>> time before timing out. Doing an strace on the sqlplus session shows
>>> that the connection gets redirected from one node in the remote
>>> cluster to the other, but the address that is returned is the VIP
>>> address. Is there a way to get around this?
>>> Thanks
>>> Pradeep
>> This is a POSSIBLLY sounds like your DNS may not be set up correctly.
>> You may try making sure that ALL IP addresses associated with both
>> environments should be entered in /etc/hosts so the lookups may succeed.
>
> I don't think it is a matter of the DNS or /etc/hosts not being set
> up.  These are two separate networks and I cannot access the VIP on
> one network from the other network.
>
> I think that it is not going to be possible to do this if you have the
> REMOTE_LISTENER parameter specified as it will return on occasion the
> VIP address for the other node, which is not available on the network
> over which I am making the initial connection.

You need to fix what ever is causing the network issues. If the systems cannot talk to each other, you cannot use this feature. If it is a firewall issue or whatever... you need to fix the underlying cause not try to hack around a symptom. Received on Wed Mar 25 2009 - 13:55:55 CDT

Original text of this message