Re: Connecting to RAC on a different network than the one on which VIP is set up

From: <pknayar_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 07:50:56 -0700 (PDT)

On Mar 23, 6:44 pm, Michael Austin <maus..._at_firstdbasource.com> wrote:
> pkna..._at_gmail.com wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I am trying to set up Streams in Oracle 11g between two RAC
> > databases.  Unfortunately the connectivity between the two databases
> > is on a different network than the one on which the VIP is set up.  In
> > doing sqlplus from one to the other on this other (management)
> > network, I get these sessions sometimes which just hang for a long
> > time before timing out.  Doing an strace on the sqlplus session shows
> > that the connection gets redirected from one node in the remote
> > cluster to the other, but the address that is returned is the VIP
> > address.  Is there a way to get around this?
>
> > Thanks
> > Pradeep
>
> This is a POSSIBLLY sounds like your DNS may not be set up correctly.
> You may try making sure that ALL IP addresses associated with both
> environments should be entered in /etc/hosts so the lookups may succeed.

I don't think it is a matter of the DNS or /etc/hosts not being set up. These are two separate networks and I cannot access the VIP on one network from the other network.

I think that it is not going to be possible to do this if you have the REMOTE_LISTENER parameter specified as it will return on occasion the VIP address for the other node, which is not available on the network over which I am making the initial connection. Received on Tue Mar 24 2009 - 09:50:56 CDT

Original text of this message