Re: Connecting to RAC on a different network than the one on which VIP is set up

From: <pknayar_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 07:17:14 -0700 (PDT)

On Mar 25, 2:55 pm, Michael Austin <maus..._at_firstdbasource.com> wrote:
> pkna..._at_gmail.com wrote:
> >> This is a POSSIBLLY sounds like your DNS may not be set up correctly.
> >> You may try making sure that ALL IP addresses associated with both
> >> environments should be entered in /etc/hosts so the lookups may succeed.
>
> > I don't think it is a matter of the DNS or /etc/hosts not being set
> > up.  These are two separate networks and I cannot access the VIP on
> > one network from the other network.
>
> > I think that it is not going to be possible to do this if you have the
> > REMOTE_LISTENER parameter specified as it will return on occasion the
> > VIP address for the other node, which is not available on the network
> > over which I am making the initial connection.
>
> You need to fix what ever is causing the network issues.  If the systems
> cannot talk to each other, you cannot use this feature.  If it is a
> firewall issue or whatever... you need to fix the underlying cause not
> try to hack around a symptom.

It is not a network issue per se. These are two independent networks. It was decided to use the management network for connectivity between the two locations (databases) and I was not involved with this. I am just trying to see if there is a way to get it to work before I tell them that it cannot be done and that I need connectivity between the sites to be on the production network. Received on Tue Mar 31 2009 - 09:17:14 CDT

Original text of this message