Re: Is comp.databases.oracle.server dying?

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 11:45:56 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 17 Mar 2009 03:35:50 -0700, Sudipto wrote:

> I guess, OTN, asktom and other alike forums are also helping users to
> get what they want.

It's almost impossible to get to AskTom when he's answering questions. Here is what you usually find on AskTom:

"Times are East coast times (GMT-4:00)
In the last 4 weeks, I've taken 71 new questions, read 658 followups, and responded to 496 of the followups"
and
"Sorry I have a large backlog right now, please ask a question later."

It's not very useful. I can ask questions on Metalink, but I've been told "this is a proprietary information and we're not at liberty to discuss it". So, the amount of the available information has been seriously cut down.

> which was not the case few years back. OTN's section specific forums are
> sometimes really good and spot on

No, they are not. They are forums for beginners. Those forums contain very little relevant information for an experienced professionals. Also, they're controlled by Oracle Corp. Those forums belong to the "let's control everything" category.

Unfortunately, this is the only place where one can freely discuss things related to Oracle. Oracle has abandoned this forum and I wouldn't be at all surprised if they were even actively undermining it by telling people not to post here.

There definitely is a policy to cut down on the amount of the acessible information. As I've said before, that may be a sign of demise. It has happened before, and there are many things that I don't like about Oracle Corp. I am afraid that they do have the best product and too ambitious marketing, just like DEC had before them. The say that history is a life's teacher, but people rarely allow themselves to be taught by history. In other words, we have to stop worrying and learn to love Oracle. Peace on Earth!

--
http://mgogala.freehostia.com