Re: Patch Oracle Express Edition

From: Paulie <linehan.paul_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 04:32:35 -0700 (PDT)

On Mar 16, 1:19 pm, yossarian <yossaria..._at_operamail.com> wrote:
> Mladen Gogala wrote:
> > BTW, does anybody know anyting about Oracle XE version 11? Oracle
> > obvisously doesn't consider Oracle 11 stable enough to base a freeware
> > product on it.
>
> Or perhaps they decide not to go on with the XE line...

Unlikely to say the least. The reason it was launched in the first place is that OpenSource databases are making inroads into Oracle's market (I predict a big jump in people trying to "save money" by ditching Oracle to save on licencing).

That threat to Oracle's revenues just got a lot bigger with the collapse of the world's financial markets (oops, did I say "collapse" - I meant, of course, "readjustment") - they'll continue to release XE with the minimum spec that they think that they can get away with - just don't expect it to be current or Oracle to spend a lot of money on what they (IMHO) consider to be a "sampler" db.

Paul...