Re: Performance issue

From: Paulie <linehan.paul_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 04:27:24 -0700 (PDT)

On Mar 17, 7:27 am, Jenny <jjohni..._at_gmail.com> wrote:

> our database oracle 9i is running on tru64. Db's performance degrades
> as the time goes on, later we bounce the DB and also restarts the
> machine. after restart the performance increases drastically and as
> time goes performance degrade.
> Can anyone tell what the problem is and also a solution 4 it

As one previous poster said - use Statspack and take regular snapshots,
when the system is working well and when it's working poorly.

I'm not familiar with Tru64, but I imagine it has a few OS monitoring tools of its own (à la sar, top, vmstat, iostat &c.).

Take regular snapshots with these as well - record them to a file or preferebly script them to be inserted into a couple of tables in Oracle (with timestamps), then you will be able to see what both the database and OS are doing at the same time and you will be able to drill down and start to try and find out what's gong on.

Assuming there's nothing significant going on on the machine other than the Oracle database + its application (double check that first - a db server should never really be used for anything else).

It sounds like maybe (this is guessing - you'll have to poke around and find out!), your application is creating temporary tables which are getting bigger and bigger and which eventually become too big, and which are purged on a reboot/db-restart.

First thing I'd do is just bounce the database without rebooting the machine and see does the problem remain - if it does, then it could be some sort of memory leak in another application or a bug of some sort in the OS (which I would doubt!).

Happy hunting.

Paul... Received on Tue Mar 17 2009 - 06:27:24 CDT

Original text of this message