Re: Performance issue

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 14:05:44 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 17 Mar 2009 00:27:05 -0700, Jenny wrote:

> our database oracle 9i is running on tru64. Db's performance degrades as
> the time goes on, later we bounce the DB and also restarts the machine.
> after restart the performance increases drastically and as time goes
> performance degrade.
> Can anyone tell what the problem is and also a solution 4 it

My experience tells me that it's probably a swapping issue. Try seeing what can you do about the FILESYSTEMIO_OPTIONS. The default for the parameter is "none", which means that your DB is using buffered I/O. On the vast majority of Unix systems, all of the free memory is used as I/O cache. If the main user of I/O is an Oracle database, this cache area can grow quite a bit. Consider using direct I/O, if that is supported on your file system and I/O.

--
http://mgogala.freehostia.com