Re: TimesTen and In Memory Databases.....

From: Paulie <linehan.paul_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 04:50:41 -0700 (PDT)

On Mar 15, 7:15 pm, Robert Klemme <shortcut..._at_googlemail.com> wrote:

> > For my money, Python is superior in many ways - as far as I'm
> > concerned, if Eric Raymond and Bruck Eckel think it's the best language around,
> > then who am I to quibble?

> Well, I bet you'll find a famous advocate for *any* programming
> language. Also, I find it strange to just follow advice of people just
> because they are well known. I'd rather make up my own mind.

Mladen said

There is also a specialized language for loading data into the database (any database, MySQL, Oracle or PgSQL). It's called Practical Extraction and Reporting Language and it is my sincerest advice to learn the language.

I also said that I had used both (not much mind) and found Python to be streets ahead. Eckel and Raymond are two well known IT personalities who IMHO, don't have a language axe to grind. IMHO, the development model of Python is better.

> > I have only used a small amount of both Perl and Python (having been
> > doomed
> > to write shell scripts by a manager who didn't want to dip his toes in
> > the waters
> > of proper languages - "<whine> but we don't know what it does"), but
> > Python just
> > "fits"!

> <adverisment type="shameless">Btw, did you give Ruby a try? The current
> 1.9.1 is really great - significantly faster than the 1.8 versions and
> it is *my* language of choice for scripting - although I'm not famous at
> all. ;-)</advertisment>

As a dba, scripting languages that you can reasonably expect to find on a Unix system are Perl (most frequent) and then Python - Ruby doesn't have the base (yet!) - maybe it will, (and when Eckel and Raymond call for its use, then I'll just follow like the sheep I am 8-)!

Other interesting titbits.

From http://www.stallman.org/stallman-computing.html

The programming languages I use are Lisp and C. They are also my favorite languages. However, since around 1992 I have been very busy with free software activism, too busy to do much programming. As a result, I have not had time to learn newer languages such as Perl,
Python or Ruby. I recently did read a book about Java and found it interesting to compare with C.

http://personal.aparadine.com/articles/linustorvalds.html

Preston: What is your favorite interpreted programming language, and why?

Linus: Heh. I don't much do interpreters. The only one I end up using consciously
(ie not part of somebody else's scripts) end up being just the regular shell.
It's not that I dislike things like perl/python, it's just that I tend to either just
write C, or do _so_ simple things that shell works fine for me.

Paul...