Re: TimesTen and In Memory Databases.....

From: Robert Klemme <shortcutter_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 12:58:33 +0100

On 17.03.2009 12:50, Paulie wrote:

> On Mar 15, 7:15 pm, Robert Klemme <shortcut..._at_googlemail.com> wrote:
>>> For my money, Python is superior in many ways - as far as I'm
>>> concerned, if Eric Raymond and Bruck Eckel think it's the best language around,
>>> then who am I to quibble?

>> Well, I bet you'll find a famous advocate for *any* programming
>> language.  Also, I find it strange to just follow advice of people just
>> because they are well known.  I'd rather make up my own mind.

> Mladen said
>
> =============================
> There is also a specialized language for loading data into the
> database (any database, MySQL, Oracle or PgSQL). It's called
> Practical Extraction and Reporting Language and it
> is my sincerest advice to learn the language.
> ==============================
>
> I also said that I had used both (not much mind) and found Python
> to be streets ahead. Eckel and Raymond are two well known
> IT personalities who IMHO, don't have a language axe to
> grind. IMHO, the development model of Python is
> better.

I did not want to imply that you did not built your own judgment. Sorry, if that hasn't become clear. My comment solely referred to naming some well known people to reinforce your opinion.

> As a dba, scripting languages that you can reasonably expect to
> find on a Unix system are Perl (most frequent) and
> then Python - Ruby doesn't have the base (yet!) - maybe

Yes, that's probably true. And if you have to work with what you got this is what you have to do. :-)

> it will, (and when Eckel and Raymond call for its use,
> then I'll just follow like the sheep I am 8-)!

Good boy! ;-)

> Other interesting titbits.

Thanks for those. But please watch your usage of "t" and "d". :-)

Kind regards

        robert Received on Tue Mar 17 2009 - 06:58:33 CDT

Original text of this message