Re: Replication in databases

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2008 06:57:29 -0700

M2Y wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have the follwing doubts. Can someone plz explain or provide
> details:
>
> Regarding Multi-master replication:
> What is it? How can we do this in Oracle?

A better question would be why would you want to do it in Oracle. Multi-master replication is obsolete and has been replaced by far superior technology: Data Guard and Streams.

> What is shared between them?

Shared? Between what?

Read the docs: http://tahiti.oracle.com

> On failover, what happens to a client's connection?

Failover is not a replication construct except in Data Guard.

> Does the failover transparent to the client? I mean, does the
> client need to reestablish the connection to another server and the
> current uncommitted transactions are lost.

TAF is only available in RAC and Data Guard.

> Master-slave replication
> What is it? How can we do this in Oracle?

A better question would be why would you want to do it in Oracle. Master-slave replication is obsolete and has been replaced by far superior technology: Data Guard and Streams.

> What is shared between them?

Shared? Between what?

> How the replication is done?(log shipping, transaction
> shipping,

Read the docs: http://tahiti.oracle.com

> On failover, what happens to a client's connection?
> Does the failover transparent to the client?

A better question would be why would you want to do it in Oracle. Master-slave replication is obsolete and has been replaced by far superior technology: Data Guard and Streams.

> Thanks,
> Srinivas

I agree with gym dot ... you seem to be confusing different technologies while asking about obsolete technologies. For replication look up Data Guard, Streams, and Control Data Capture. For failover look up TAF, FCF, RAC, and Data Guard.

In any future posts ALWAYS include version number to 3 decimal places.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
Oracle Ace Director & Instructor