Re: DataPump question

From: <maks71_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2008 11:37:53 -0700 (PDT)

On Aug 29, 12:57 pm, Steve Howard <stevedhow..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Aug 29, 9:39 am, mak..._at_gmail.com wrote:
>
> > Thanks Steve.
>
> > > 1 is possible, but while doing this with datapump in parallel on a
> > > fairly large (700GB) 16 partition table we ran into an "enqueue TM
> > > contention" event that Oracle support is still chewing on (10.2.0.3 on
> > > x86-64).  Effectively, it limited us to loading only one partition at
> > > a time.  Something to watch out for...
>
> > Steve, so from your reply , by design,  It's possible to run multiple
> > Datapump import jobs in parallel for mutiple partitions [ one impdp
> > job per one partition ] but due to some bug you are not able to run
> > this... Did I get this right?
>
> Yes, that's what we found.  We still have an SR open on it, but we
> ended up not using DP and just insert as selects from the source table.

This is strange!! Concurrent direct level insert works on multiple partition but datapump import doesn't .. I have observed DL insert ( when partition specified ) gets exclusive DML(TM) lock on just partition which undergoing INSERT where as datapump import job obtains the exclusive DML (TM) lock on entire table.. Does any one know why datapump has to obtain table level lock to import data into a partition? FYI, I'm using TABLES=TAB1:PART1.. i.e. telling data pump that I intend to load data into a singe partition and not the entire table... Received on Tue Sep 02 2008 - 13:37:53 CDT

Original text of this message