Re: Compressing export on the fly using Oracle's zip command

From: Cristian Cudizio <cristian.cudizio_at_yahoo.it>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 03:27:37 -0700 (PDT)

On 28 Ago, 02:26, zigzag..._at_yahoo.com wrote:
> I am on 10.2.0.3 on HP UNIZ 11i
>
> I have been compressing my exports using pipe mechanism using gzip on
> UNIX.
>
> /etc/mknod $PIPE_NAME p
> /usr/contrib/bin/gzip < $PIPE_NAME > $BackupExportFile &
>
> exp system/$pqmsSYSTEM_PSWD file=$PIPE_NAME log=$TLOGFILE consistent=Y
> \
> full=yes constraints=y compress=N >> $LOGFILE 2>&1
>
> Everything works. Instead of using gzip, I want to user Oracle’s zip
> command, however, Oracle’s zip does not work. This zip is expecting a
> file and apparently cannot read from pipe. Why?
>
> I did a test outside of export, use UNIX cat caommand, that also did
> not work.
>
> Any ideas on how to make it work. I rather use Oracle's zip than gnu's
> zip. I can send zip file to my venor who has databas eon Widnows and
> not used to gunzip.

i'm not able to decompress gzipped files with winzip too, however there is gunzip for windows. Zip on the fly does not work because gzip i able to read from stdin while zip not.

Regards,
 Cristian Cudizio

http://cristiancudizio.wordpress.com Received on Thu Aug 28 2008 - 05:27:37 CDT

Original text of this message