Compressing export on the fly using Oracle's zip command

From: <zigzagdna_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 17:26:43 -0700 (PDT)

I am on 10.2.0.3 on HP UNIZ 11i

I have been compressing my exports using pipe mechanism using gzip on UNIX.
/etc/mknod $PIPE_NAME p
/usr/contrib/bin/gzip < $PIPE_NAME > $BackupExportFile &

exp system/$pqmsSYSTEM_PSWD file=$PIPE_NAME log=$TLOGFILE consistent=Y \
full=yes constraints=y compress=N >> $LOGFILE 2>&1

Everything works. Instead of using gzip, I want to user Oracle’s zip command, however, Oracle’s zip does not work. This zip is expecting a file and apparently cannot read from pipe. Why?

I did a test outside of export, use UNIX cat caommand, that also did not work.

Any ideas on how to make it work. I rather use Oracle's zip than gnu's zip. I can send zip file to my venor who has databas eon Widnows and not used to gunzip. Received on Wed Aug 27 2008 - 19:26:43 CDT

Original text of this message