flash_recovery_area size reporting

From: obakesan <pellicleundies_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 09:43:20 GMT

Hi

I had a little whoopsie yesterday on my test database (10.2.0.1.0) with the db_recovery_file_dest becomming full and me getting the following message in my alert log:

ORA-19815: WARNING: db_recovery_file_dest_size of 2147483648 bytes is 100.00% used, and has 0 remaining bytes available.

well, I recovered from this but thought it might make a good exersize to explore. This leads me to a question about how it knows how much is in there. Because my first attempt to "fill the area" used a simple ploy to increase the amount held in $ORACLE_HOME/flash_recovery_area/$SID by just poking some file in there with
dd if=/dev/zero of=$ORACLE_HOME/flash_recovery_area/$SID

this failed to have any impact on the system operation. So clearly the system is not looking at the OS but only its own repository / catalog.

I would like to understand this more, for example to know which views I may be able to query or how to best explore the system to understand this (as EM is not the easiest tool to work with for this issue)

thanks :-)

See Ya
(when bandwidth gets better ;-)

Chris Eastwood
Photographer, Programmer Motorcyclist and dingbat blog: http://cjeastwd.blogspot.com/

please remove undies for reply Received on Thu Aug 28 2008 - 04:43:20 CDT

Original text of this message