Re: how much swap for 10g on a 4Gb RAM system?

From: Ana C. Dent <anacedent_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 01:34:24 GMT

pellicleundies_at_hotmail.com (obakesan) wrote in news:leTjk.15$Vi.4_at_read4.inet.fi:

> Hi
>
> In article
> <05e1cb66-6b3a-4502-9cf4-e1eb9a488ef2_at_r15g2000prh.googlegroups.com>,
> joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com> wrote:
>

>>The answer is really platform and OS version dependent, as well as
>>dependent on what is going on with the system.  In the olden days on
>>most unix, one needed to have the swap predefined for all running
>>processes.  Nowadays, there are a number of ways to get around that.
>>Linux allows you to have both a swap partition and a swap file, the
>>former tends to be faster and the latter more flexible and roomy.  See
>>http://www.linux.com/feature/121916 for a good intro, note that the
>>kernel version makes a difference.  Also see
>>http://forums.oracle.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=3D2556276 and
>>the metalink note: 233753.1 it references.  And
>>http://kerneltrap.org/node/3000 "BloatyApp may be Oracle with a huge
>>cache of its own, for which swapping out may be a huge mistake."
>>

> really interesting ... thanks :-)
>
> The reason I asked is that I had the OS up and running before I
> started thinking of putting 10g on it. After I read the docs and
> explored the system I discovered I didn't have enough swap to satisfy
> oracle. I'm now deciding wether to repartition to give a bigger swap
> partion or add a swap file.
>
> Thanks :-)
>
> See Ya
> (when bandwidth gets better ;-)
>
> Chris Eastwood
> Photographer, Programmer Motorcyclist and dingbat
> blog: http://cjeastwd.blogspot.com/
>
> please remove undies for reply

It is not completely clear, at least to this reader, exactly what flavor of *nix you have.
Some/many/most *nix do not require a dedicate partition for swap. You can use dd to create a "swap file" on any volume you want & include this new file to the existing swapspace. (or at least I have done so multiple times.) Received on Wed Jul 30 2008 - 20:34:24 CDT

Original text of this message