Re: how much swap for 10g on a 4Gb RAM system?

From: obakesan <>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 05:45:53 GMT

In article
<>, joel garry <> wrote:

>The answer is really platform and OS version dependent, as well as
>dependent on what is going on with the system. In the olden days on
>most unix, one needed to have the swap predefined for all running
>processes. Nowadays, there are a number of ways to get around that.
>Linux allows you to have both a swap partition and a swap file, the
>former tends to be faster and the latter more flexible and roomy. See
> for a good intro, note that the
>kernel version makes a difference. Also see
> and the
>metalink note: 233753.1 it references. And
>"BloatyApp may be Oracle with a huge cache of its own, for which
>swapping out may be a huge mistake."

really interesting ... thanks :-)

The reason I asked is that I had the OS up and running before I started thinking of putting 10g on it. After I read the docs and explored the system I discovered I didn't have enough swap to satisfy oracle. I'm now deciding wether to repartition to give a bigger swap partion or add a swap file.

Thanks :-)

See Ya
(when bandwidth gets better ;-)

Chris Eastwood
Photographer, Programmer Motorcyclist and dingbat blog:

please remove undies for reply Received on Wed Jul 30 2008 - 00:45:53 CDT

Original text of this message