Re: Account to install Oracle with on Windows platform

From: Charles Hooper <hooperc2000_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 15:54:46 -0700 (PDT)

On Jun 20, 10:13 am, macdba321 <macdba..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Really? I'm guessing that you have not "read the installation
> documentation" then because it states:
>
> To install the Oracle Database software:
>    1.      Log on as a member of the Administrators group to the
> computer on which you want to install Oracle components.
>             If you are installing on a Primary Domain Controller (PDC)
> or a Backup Domain Controller (BDC), log on as a member of the Domain
> Administrators group.
>
> as specified in: OracleŽ Database Installation Guide,11g Release 1
> (11.1) for Microsoft Windows,Part Number B32006-03
>
> Since you read the documentation, please show me where it says to use
> the *local* administrator account. Because, nowhere that I have found
> does it state to use the "local administrator account". It states to
> be a "member of the Administrators group". So my question is still
> valid: Are most of you out there installing as "Administrator" or as
> an "Oracle" account that is a member of the administrators group?

Follow the install guide (or the Windows specific info) in the documentation. Please note: it is possible that domain administrators are not in the administrator's group on the server. The user performing the install must be a member of the local administrator's group. There is no concept of a local administrator's group on a PDC or BDC (NT 4 terms) or a DC (Active Directory term), so on such a computer Oracle must be installed using an account in the Domain Admins group. If the computer is not part of a domain, Oracle should be installed by a user with local Administrator permissions.

Keep it simple. Log into the server as a domain admin, install Oracle, create a local user for use with Enterprise Manager - the user should be a member of the ORA_DBA group, and possibly the computer's Administrator group. This user must also have specific system permissions, as spelled out in the install guide. The Oracle services should be running using the "Local System Account".

Charles Hooper
IT Manager/Oracle DBA
K&M Machine-Fabricating, Inc. Received on Fri Jun 20 2008 - 17:54:46 CDT

Original text of this message