Re: Account to install Oracle with on Windows platform

From: macdba321 <>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 07:13:15 -0700 (PDT)

On Jun 12, 7:25 pm, wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 13:34:55 -0700 (PDT),macdba321
> <> wrote:
> >Folks,
> >  I have always worked on Sun/HP platforms in the past. There it was
> >clear to install the Oracle kernel under an "Oracle" OS account, as
> >opposed to root.
> >  However, now I have to install it on a Windows 2003 64-bit platform.
> >Do most DBAs installing on MSWin install as the "administrator"
> >account, or also create an "oracle" account and make it a member of
> >the admin group?
> >What are the pros/cons of it on MSWin?
> >11g/ASM/RAC in case it matters.
> >thanks.
> Most DBAs read the installation documentation and use the *local*
> administrator account, as specified by the documentation.
> --
> Sybrand Bakker
> Senior Oracle DBA

Really? I'm guessing that you have not "read the installation documentation" then because it states:

To install the Oracle Database software:

  1. Log on as a member of the Administrators group to the computer on which you want to install Oracle components. If you are installing on a Primary Domain Controller (PDC) or a Backup Domain Controller (BDC), log on as a member of the Domain Administrators group.

as specified in: OracleŽ Database Installation Guide,11g Release 1 (11.1) for Microsoft Windows,Part Number B32006-03

Since you read the documentation, please show me where it says to use the *local* administrator account. Because, nowhere that I have found does it state to use the "local administrator account". It states to be a "member of the Administrators group". So my question is still valid: Are most of you out there installing as "Administrator" or as an "Oracle" account that is a member of the administrators group? Received on Fri Jun 20 2008 - 09:13:15 CDT

Original text of this message