Re: Crossing over from SQL Server

From: <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 13:16:18 -0700 (PDT)

On Jun 10, 2:15 pm, Tracy McKibben <tracy.mckib..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> About a year ago, the company that I work for purchased another
> company.  We're a large SQL Server shop, but this new company has a
> mix of SQL Server and Oracle.  As part of the DBA team, I'm required
> to start learning Oracle, in order to provide production support
> (admin duties, performance tuning, etc..).
>
> Aside from classroom training (doesn't work well for me, I get bored),
> what suggestions are there for getting up to speed?  I'm looking for a
> "in SQL, you do it like this, in Oracle, you do it this way" stuff -
> books, CBT's, whatever.  I'm planning to purchase the "Admin Workshop
> I", "Admin Workshop II", and "Performance Tuning" CBT's from Oracle.
> What else can I look for?

I will suggest the following two texts which, in my opinion, are 'must reads':

"Expert Oracle Database Architecture", Thomas Kyte, ISBN 1-59059-530-0 ""Oracle PL/SQL Programming, 4th Ed.", Steven Feuerstein, ISBN 0-596-00977-1

The first will provide you a firm foundation in what Oracle has to offer and how it functions, the second will give you a good grounding in PL/SQL programming. From there I would strongly suggest you visit:

http://tahiti.oracle.com

select the release of Oracle your company is using, and start reading the Concepts Guide. Then move on to the 2-Day DBA material, and then work your way through the rest of the documentation as time permits or as the needs arise.

The advice to resist the temptation of trying to 'equate' Oracle syntax/protocol to SQL Server syntax/techniques is excellent; I second that and hope you take heed of that advice.

This is not an impossible task, but it does take some discipline and effort, which will be amply rewarded. I wish you well.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Tue Jun 10 2008 - 15:16:18 CDT

Original text of this message