Re: Crossing over from SQL Server

From: Eric <eric_at_deptj.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 21:14:48 +0100

On 2008-06-10, Tracy McKibben <tracy.mckibben_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> About a year ago, the company that I work for purchased another
> company. We're a large SQL Server shop, but this new company has a
> mix of SQL Server and Oracle. As part of the DBA team, I'm required
> to start learning Oracle, in order to provide production support
> (admin duties, performance tuning, etc..).
>
> Aside from classroom training (doesn't work well for me, I get bored),
> what suggestions are there for getting up to speed?

> I'm looking for a
> "in SQL, you do it like this, in Oracle, you do it this way" stuff -

Firstly, you have to learn that SQL is a _language_ used in lots of database products, one of which is Microsoft SQL Server. Using SQL as an abbreviation for SQL Server will cause lots of problems talking to anyone who learnt any other database product first!

Secondly, anything you find that claims to be the comparison you want will probably be partly or even mostly wrong. You will need to replace "what do I do instead of x?" with "why do I want to do x?" a lot of the time to get reasonable answers.

E Received on Tue Jun 10 2008 - 15:14:48 CDT

Original text of this message