Crossing over from SQL Server

From: Tracy McKibben <tracy.mckibben_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 12:15:54 -0700 (PDT)

About a year ago, the company that I work for purchased another company. We're a large SQL Server shop, but this new company has a mix of SQL Server and Oracle. As part of the DBA team, I'm required to start learning Oracle, in order to provide production support (admin duties, performance tuning, etc..).

Aside from classroom training (doesn't work well for me, I get bored), what suggestions are there for getting up to speed? I'm looking for a "in SQL, you do it like this, in Oracle, you do it this way" stuff - books, CBT's, whatever. I'm planning to purchase the "Admin Workshop I", "Admin Workshop II", and "Performance Tuning" CBT's from Oracle. What else can I look for? Received on Tue Jun 10 2008 - 14:15:54 CDT

Original text of this message