Re: ASM Question - Best Practice

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2008 17:09:07 -0700 (PDT)

On Jun 6, 12:48 pm, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:

snip

> > Most any competent company that has a storage system that does RAID
> > well uses external redundancy for ASM.
>
> > This sounds like you made up your answer.
>
> > The mirroring that ASM "can do" is mostly applicable to environments
> > with cheaper disk subsystems.
>
> Hardly a made up answer. I can, within a few minutes of my office, take
> you to amazingly large publicly held companies with very expensive
> arrays doing precisely what Michael stated.
>
> >> Best Practice at most companies will vary depending on the criticality
> >> of the data being stored.

snip

OK let's say specically RAID 1/0. I guess there are some people running RAID 5.

Why don't you post your list of people running RAID 1/0 on enterprise level storage that aren't using external redundancy?

Most of the people that are running RAID 5 when they have other options and also using ASM to mirror instead of using some other RAID level ... I guess there are various conceivable reasons ... many of them probably though not so well thought out imho. Received on Fri Jun 06 2008 - 19:09:07 CDT

Original text of this message