Re: speed of light

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2008 16:23:27 -0700 (PDT)

On Jun 6, 1:51 pm, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:

> The settings like SDU are not yet able to change the speed of light.
> But they do significantly affect the transfer speed by optimizing
> the way Oracle uses the network.
>
> Nor is the speed of light a significant player. We are generally
> limited, according to the literature, to 1ms/50km (33mi for Americans).

Welllllll, maybe the OP is using a fiberoptic, and is limited to the speed of light in fibers, minus replication and net access speeds... 400ms round trip, what does that imply to you? Lessee, 25Kmiles x 4 for a sattellite at 186Kmi/sec... nope, not a geosynchronous satellite...

> When we teach Data Guard classes here we always create a non-public
> network for log file shipping with its own port and its own listener.
> Why compete with public traffic if you can avoid doing so.

So, how do you avoid doing so when going between Australia and the US? :-)

I can't even get a full T1 between two contiguous states <sigh>. Then I remember paying by the mile from LA to SF for running Co-Link over lousy phone lines, and am glad I don't have to worry about these things any more, except as a dirt-scratching DBA.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://blog.washingtonpost.com/securityfix/2008/06/beware_of_error_messages_at_ba_1.html?nav=rss_blog