Re: How to find out version and install security patches?

From: A. Farber <Alexander.Farber_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2008 00:39:16 -0700 (PDT)

Hello Sybrand,

thanks for your reply, so I have

    SQL> select * from v$version;

    BANNER

    Oracle9i Release 9.2.0.4.0 - Production     PL/SQL Release 9.2.0.4.0 - Production     CORE 9.2.0.3.0 Production
    TNS for Linux: Version 9.2.0.4.0 - Production     NLSRTL Version 9.2.0.4.0 - Production

> Excellent choice to start criticizing Oracle right away.
> Oracle runs on many platforms. There is one installer for all of these
> platforms. Now why would they have done that?

Yes, why would've Oracle hire a person to test and provide Linux packages (similar to PostgreSQL and MySQL)?

They better provide a graphical installer (i.e. installing over SSH isn't an option), then let the paying customer spend few days trying to find a workaround for the installer not running (the Java/libwait error), then another few days for "Linking" stage failing (the libgcc error).

> You'll need 9.2.0.8 to install Critical Patch Updates aka CPUs

So I can't install CPUs for 9.2.0.4?

> You didn't see a tab labeled 'Patches' on Metalink?
> Woulodn't that be very obvious?

Really I don't see it at Metalink. I see only (tried FF and MSIE): Headlines, Knowledge, Service Request, SCM, Certify.

> There is RMAN. There is a backup and recovery manual online at
> http:/./tahiti,oracle.com

Thanks, I'll read it.

> It appears this isn't true: Apparently this forum is going to
> administrate this server by providing you a free Oracle tutorial.
> Please do not ask to abstract it, Please do not ask to provide free
> scripts. Please do not ask to do your work.
> If you can't do it, hire someone who can.

I'm still allowed to ask (even stupid one) questions in this newsgroup without having to hire you right away, don't I?

> --
> Sybrand Bakker
> Senior Oracle DBA

Regards
Alex Received on Sun Jun 01 2008 - 02:39:16 CDT

Original text of this message