Re: How to find out version and install security patches?

From: joel garry <>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2008 13:22:12 -0700 (PDT)

On May 31, 3:54 pm, "A. Farber" <> wrote:
> Hello fellow Oracle users,
> I have unfortunately no Oracle experience,
> but will have to maintain a server at my new job
> (this will be 1 of my 50 other tasks).

You might poke around at and look for things like "2-day DBA," though watch versions.

> After lots of searching I've managed to install
> version 9i.2 at a CentOS 5 Linux machine.
> (And I really don't understand, why would
> Oracle use a Java installer and also compile
> lots of stuff during the "Linking" phase instead
> of providing a well-tested binary rpm-package).

Is this production or test?

> A consultant has installed their program then.
> Now I'd like to install security patches.
> I have a Metalink account and have read their
> wordy FAQ but still don't have an idea,
> where to download their patches and how
> to install them (is there another GUI for that?)

Note that when you find the patch, there is a readme. Follow directions exactly, even if they seem to have some circular references.

> Also I don't know which version do I actually
> have, is it Where could I check?
> Can anyone please advise me?
> Can I do anything else to improve the security?
> (Change some default passwords etc.)

Look around for "project lockdown" starting at

> Also is there maybe an easy way for me to
> create daily snapshots of the program database?

What really matters is how you intend to restore. RMAN is generally best for backup/restore, but if you say "snapshot," I wonder what intentions you have. Some 3rd party products assume a logical backup, which is often the wrong way to go about it, but it depends.

> For PostgreSQL I have a cronjob
> pg_dump phpbb > /mnt/backups/pg-`date +\%F`.sql
> and know that I can at least roll back to it
> if I do something stupid as a would-be-admin.
> Is there something as simple for Oracle?

Avoid most scripts found on the internet, many are way off. You need to understand what you are trying to accomplish.

> Thank you very much
> Alex

Here is some more information about this group:

-- is bogus.
Oh, it's a money thing:
word: burati