Re: How to find out version and install security patches?

From: <sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl>
Date: Sun, 01 Jun 2008 12:24:08 +0200

Comments again embedded

On Sun, 1 Jun 2008 00:39:16 -0700 (PDT), "A. Farber" <Alexander.Farber_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>Hello Sybrand,
>
>thanks for your reply, so I have
>
> SQL> select * from v$version;
>
> BANNER
> Oracle9i Release 9.2.0.4.0 - Production
> PL/SQL Release 9.2.0.4.0 - Production
> CORE 9.2.0.3.0 Production
> TNS for Linux: Version 9.2.0.4.0 - Production
> NLSRTL Version 9.2.0.4.0 - Production
>
>> Excellent choice to start criticizing Oracle right away.
>> Oracle runs on many platforms. There is one installer for all of these
>> platforms. Now why would they have done that?
>
>Yes, why would've Oracle hire a person to test and
>provide Linux packages (similar to PostgreSQL and MySQL)?

Obviously to cut doiwn on cost. Happens everywhere. If you don't like that, why don't you stick to toy databases like PostgreSQL and MySQL, instead of posting stupid comments? Nobody forces you to use Oracle.

>They better provide a graphical installer (i.e. installing
>over SSH isn't an option),

Oracle comes with a graphical installer, and installing over SSH works like a charm. Everyone uses that. Oracle is not the problem. You are!

 then let the paying customer
>spend few days trying to find a workaround for the
>installer not running (the Java/libwait error), then another
>few days for "Linking" stage failing (the libgcc error).
>
>> You'll need 9.2.0.8 to install Critical Patch Updates aka CPUs
>
>So I can't install CPUs for 9.2.0.4?

Nope.

>> You didn't see a tab labeled 'Patches' on Metalink?
>> Woulodn't that be very obvious?
>
>Really I don't see it at Metalink. I see only (tried FF and MSIE):
>Headlines, Knowledge, Service Request, SCM, Certify.

So your Metalink profile hasn't been set up correctly. Please see your CSI administrator.

>> There is RMAN. There is a backup and recovery manual online at
>> http:/./tahiti,oracle.com
>
>Thanks, I'll read it.
>
>> It appears this isn't true: Apparently this forum is going to
>> administrate this server by providing you a free Oracle tutorial.
>> Please do not ask to abstract it, Please do not ask to provide free
>> scripts. Please do not ask to do your work.
>> If you can't do it, hire someone who can.
>
>I'm still allowed to ask (even stupid one) questions in this
>newsgroup without having to hire you right away, don't I?

You are likely to be ignored.
Bashing Oracle fior no good reason on your very first post is not especially appreciated.
Continue to bash Oracle for no good reason on subsequent posts qualifies as whining. Usually it is not Oracle's fault, but the fault of the poster, who 'thinks' Oracle 'should' work in a certain way they learned using a different product.
This shows more attitude than aptitude to learn.

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA