Re: Mixed 32/64 bit environment

From: bdbafh <bdbafh_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 11:00:49 -0700 (PDT)

On Mar 25, 11:50 am, Chuck <skilover_nos..._at_bluebottle.com> wrote:
> I'm in the process of upgrading several 32 bit 9i oracle homes to 64 bit
> 10g. My plan is to install 10g into a new home first then one by one
> upgrade the databases and move them to the new home. My question is
> this. Once the 10g home is installed, and before I upgrade any
> databases, can I start using the 64 bit 10g listener for 32 bit oracle
> databases? I know I can change the ORACLE_HOME setting in the 10g
> listener.ora file to point to 9i homes, but my main concern is will
> there be any issue with a 64 bit listener launching 32 bit oracle server
> processes?
>
> Hope this is clear.
>
> Thanks.

On Metalink one could find the following:

Certify - Product Version and Other Selections: Oracle Database - Enterprise Edition On Microsoft Windows 2003 (AMD64/EM64T)

"Running 32-bit applications on a 64-bit operating system is generally referred to as "Compatibility-Mode" by many AMD64/EM64T hardware vendors. Irrespective of this terminology, 32-bit Oracle Database server is *not* certified on Windows x64."

I haven't given 32-bit software a try on the x86-64 OS be it Microsoft Windows, RHEL or OEL.
That certification note was sufficient for me. Have I seen the x86 Oracle database server software deployed on an x86-64 server OS? Yes. It worked. But its not supportable.

-bdbafh Received on Tue Mar 25 2008 - 13:00:49 CDT

Original text of this message