Re: consolidation of multiple rows

From: Alex Kuznetsov <alkuzo_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 07:25:36 -0700 (PDT)

On Mar 12, 8:53 am, jhofm..._at_googlemail.com wrote:
> Aah - so your course covers backing up and restoring a system (I'm
> assuming it's the whole OS environment including all configuration
> settings, not just DB backup/restore ... otherwise you're not meeting
> the recovery requirement). Why does your course cover this non-DBA
> function but not DB installation? It's far more likely that a DBA
> would just need to set up a new database server than restore an entire
> backed up system :-/

Putting on my business hat, installing a new system is a planned event. As such, it can be prepared for and done in a cost effective way.
On the other hand, a disaster is not planned. If downtime means losing money, then you want recovery ASAP, so you practice recovery frequently and must be ready to actually do the recovery at any time. This is why in some places DBAs are experts in recovery but not in installation. Received on Wed Mar 12 2008 - 09:25:36 CDT

Original text of this message