Re: consolidation of multiple rows

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 09:24:49 -0700

Alex Kuznetsov wrote:
> On Mar 12, 8:53 am, jhofm..._at_googlemail.com wrote:

>> Aah - so your course covers backing up and restoring a system (I'm
>> assuming it's the whole OS environment including all configuration
>> settings, not just DB backup/restore ... otherwise you're not meeting
>> the recovery requirement).  Why does your course cover this non-DBA
>> function but not DB installation? It's far more likely that a DBA
>> would just need to set up a new database server than restore an entire
>> backed up system :-/

> Putting on my business hat, installing a new system is a planned
> event. As such, it can be prepared for and done in a cost effective
> way.
> On the other hand, a disaster is not planned. If downtime means losing
> money, then you want recovery ASAP, so you practice recovery
> frequently and must be ready to actually do the recovery at any time.
> This is why in some places DBAs are experts in recovery but not in
> installation.

Part of the reason why we make sure students can configure operating systems and perform installations is so that they will feel comfortable totally trashing a database installation as part of learning to perform recovery.

If you don't feel that reinstalling from scratch is trivial you probably aren't going to feel comfortable opening your system01.dbf in vi and creating block corruption. And waiting around for single block corruption to happen on its own is not an award winning skill.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
Oracle Ace Director & Instructor