Re: consolidation of multiple rows

From: <jhofmeyr_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 06:53:41 -0700 (PDT)

<quote>

Ah, maybe they fix the external factor and restore the system from backup? We cover backup/restore, also. And if they need to install on
a new system, they follow directions.
</quote>

Aah - so your course covers backing up and restoring a system (I'm assuming it's the whole OS environment including all configuration settings, not just DB backup/restore ... otherwise you're not meeting the recovery requirement). Why does your course cover this non-DBA function but not DB installation? It's far more likely that a DBA would just need to set up a new database server than restore an entire backed up system :-/

<quote>

Nope, not everyone at a company needs to know how to install a system.
At most one or two may.
</quote>

Per site?

<quote>

 If a DBA can't figure out how to insert a CD-ROM and answer some basic questions, either he/she needs to find a different job or the product needs improvement.
</quote>

Hmm ... I guess you're right - for SQL Server anyway it is pretty easy to just click "Next" on each screen. I might need to put in my name and company, but I can manage that too. Oh what's this bit about choosing drives and log locations? I'll just leave those as default - can't be bad right? Collation? I'm in Thailand, but default should be fine...

Jerry - you are losing credibility with some of these "arguments". I can accept that not every good DBA needs to know the names of Cobb and Date (although I would hope they do), but to say DBA's don't need to know how to install and configure a database is ludicrous. Name me 1 Fortune500 company that would employ a full-time DBA that needs to bring in a contractor each time they need to set up a new server.

Furthermore, the defensive and personal nature of your attacks on DA et al are embarrassingly immature - and that fact is even more telling coming from someone who wasn't even alive when you worked for IBM :p

<quote>

ROFLMAO!
</quote>

I'm glad to see you still have your sense of perspective :)

J Received on Wed Mar 12 2008 - 08:53:41 CDT

Original text of this message