Re: consolidation of multiple rows

From: <jhofmeyr_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 08:09:33 -0700 (PDT)

> Putting on my business hat, installing a new system is a planned
> event. As such, it can be prepared for and done in a cost effective
> way.
> On the other hand, a disaster is not planned. If downtime means losing
> money, then you want recovery ASAP, so you practice recovery
> frequently and must be ready to actually do the recovery at any time.
> This is why in some places DBAs are experts in recovery but not in
> installation.

Ok - I take your point. But is it really cost effective to bring in an external expert every time you need a new system? Or would it be better to spend a bit up-front on training have DBA's that can do this themselves? Then again, I've worked for enough big companies to know that budget manipulation is a black art best left to the accountants ;) Received on Wed Mar 12 2008 - 10:09:33 CDT

Original text of this message