Re: consolidation of multiple rows

From: Jerry Stuckle <jstucklex_at_attglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 08:08:36 -0500

DA Morgan wrote:
> Alex Kuznetsov wrote:
>>> Innovations all the time ... yes. Innovations all the time in medicine
>>> too.
>>>
>>> But "new"? I would disagree.
>>>

>> As compared to law, medicine, and engineering, which have been around
>> for generations, IT is still very new.
>
> Yes. But compared to the lifetimes of the humans spouting off here it
> has been around longer than more than half of them.

So, what does that have to do with the fact you are out of touch with reality?

> Would you tell your physician penicillin is new? It has been
> commercially available about the same amount of time as mainframes.
>
> Penicillin first successful treatment: March 14, 1942.
> IBM 650 first mass produced mainframe: Shipped 1954.

So? What does that have to do with the fact you are out of touch with reality?

>> Suppose a professor is ten years behind the practice. In law ten years
>> is just a tiny fraction. But being ten years behind in IT is huge.
>
> No one was discussing professors we were discussing IT and medicine and
> law and engineering. So lets not change the subject and pursue it.

No, we were discussing professors and their lack of touch with reality.   So lets not change the subject.

> How long can a surgeon in the US retain his license to practice medicine
> without continuing education? Two years max. A CPA one year if he or she
> plans to file tax returns for customers. Attorneys and Engineers about
> the same amount of time. If they don't maintain their education level
> they lose their malpractice insurance, they lose their license to
> practice, they lose their ability to work.

Fortunately, a lot less time than an incompetent professor can keep his tenure.

> Want to guess what percentage of Oracle DBAs have never taken a single
> class in their lives? Or how many are running 9i and above while
> certified on 8i or below? We don't come even remotely close to the
> quality control levels required of other professionals.

Who cares? If they can do their job, what's the difference if they took a class or are self taught? I know a lot of DBA's who know a hell of a lot more than what they might learn in one of your "classes".

> Sorry but that's nonsense. If you think you can find a person that can
> competently tune an Oracle database and doesn't know who Cary Millsap
> or Jonathan Lewis is you are kidding yourself. If you think you can
> find a competent Oracle developer that doesn't know who Tom Kyte is
> you need to lay off the stuff. You can't segment knowledge the way you
> are trying.

Only you thin that knowing someone's name makes you a better DBA. Clueless idiot.

> Next are you going to tell me is that you can understand Newtonian
> mechanics without knowing who Isaac Newton was.

Yes, one can. You can even call it fizzbin mechanics. The name does not affect the math.

--
Remove the "x" from my email address