Re: consolidation of multiple rows

From: Jerry Stuckle <>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 08:08:36 -0500

DA Morgan wrote:
> Alex Kuznetsov wrote:
>>> Innovations all the time ... yes. Innovations all the time in medicine
>>> too.
>>> But "new"? I would disagree.
>> As compared to law, medicine, and engineering, which have been around
>> for generations, IT is still very new.
> Yes. But compared to the lifetimes of the humans spouting off here it
> has been around longer than more than half of them.

So, what does that have to do with the fact you are out of touch with reality?

> Would you tell your physician penicillin is new? It has been
> commercially available about the same amount of time as mainframes.
> Penicillin first successful treatment: March 14, 1942.
> IBM 650 first mass produced mainframe: Shipped 1954.

So? What does that have to do with the fact you are out of touch with reality?

>> Suppose a professor is ten years behind the practice. In law ten years
>> is just a tiny fraction. But being ten years behind in IT is huge.
> No one was discussing professors we were discussing IT and medicine and
> law and engineering. So lets not change the subject and pursue it.

No, we were discussing professors and their lack of touch with reality.   So lets not change the subject.

> How long can a surgeon in the US retain his license to practice medicine
> without continuing education? Two years max. A CPA one year if he or she
> plans to file tax returns for customers. Attorneys and Engineers about
> the same amount of time. If they don't maintain their education level
> they lose their malpractice insurance, they lose their license to
> practice, they lose their ability to work.

Fortunately, a lot less time than an incompetent professor can keep his tenure.

> Want to guess what percentage of Oracle DBAs have never taken a single
> class in their lives? Or how many are running 9i and above while
> certified on 8i or below? We don't come even remotely close to the
> quality control levels required of other professionals.

Who cares? If they can do their job, what's the difference if they took a class or are self taught? I know a lot of DBA's who know a hell of a lot more than what they might learn in one of your "classes".

> Sorry but that's nonsense. If you think you can find a person that can
> competently tune an Oracle database and doesn't know who Cary Millsap
> or Jonathan Lewis is you are kidding yourself. If you think you can
> find a competent Oracle developer that doesn't know who Tom Kyte is
> you need to lay off the stuff. You can't segment knowledge the way you
> are trying.

Only you thin that knowing someone's name makes you a better DBA. Clueless idiot.

> Next are you going to tell me is that you can understand Newtonian
> mechanics without knowing who Isaac Newton was.

Yes, one can. You can even call it fizzbin mechanics. The name does not affect the math.

Remove the "x" from my email address
Jerry Stuckle
JDS Computer Training Corp.