Re: Oracle on Solaris or Linux

From: Michael Austin <maustin_at_firstdbasource.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 08:37:51 -0500

Mladen Gogala wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 06:07:16 +0000, Mr. Chow Wing Siu wrote:
>

>> Hi all,
>>
>> After reading the discussion of Oracle on Windows or UNIX, I would like
>> to discuss Oracle on Solaris or Linux.
>>
>> Any point or idea on either of them?
>>
>> Thank you very much.

> What aspects of the choice are you interested in? Financial? Technical?
> If you consider just the quality of the OS, Solaris wins, hands down.
> Maybe you should form a preconception, find some people on this group to
> support your point of view and then use that as an argument for your
> damagement. That is what is known as an "informed choice". PHB would be
> proud.

One must also consider the criticality of the "system" to your business.   What is the SLA on uptime etc... If it is down, do you lose money? I have worked with systems that can cost the company >1M/hr if it is down.

   So, again, how important is the system to your company?

> And now, something completely different: the real selection process.
> Somebody should outline user needs, available funds, do detailed
> calculations, ask for references, do benchmarks and check the
> availability of qualified people in your area. Purchase of a platform
> must be done as a project.

Yeah, what he said... Received on Tue Mar 11 2008 - 08:37:51 CDT

Original text of this message