Re: consolidation of multiple rows

From: Jerry Stuckle <jstucklex_at_attglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 15:09:07 -0500

DA Morgan wrote:
> Jerry Stuckle wrote:
>
>>> Teaching at university I hear this argument all the time ... from
>>> those who haven't a degree. I'll grant you don't seem to be part of
>>> that crowd ... but I'll still respectfully disagree.
>>
>> Yes, universities always were good at teaching irrelevant information
>> and then testing on it.
>
> You have never taken my class and I do appreciate the quick way in
> which you have gone from name calling ... Morgan is narrow/small
> minded ... to commenting on that of which you have zero knowledge.

Believe me, I don't need to take your class. I've taken many university classes, and they're all more less the same. Lots of good theory, but also lots of unnecessary garbage.

So you tell me - what does recognizing the name Boyce have to do with being an good DBA?

> Well done.

Yes, your words have spoken for themselves.

>> Try doing like I do - teach C, C++, Java, etc. in one week. That's 5
>> straight days, 7.5 - 8.0 hours per day, no homework. And at the end
>> have students who can write code.
>
> Hello World.

Wrong answer. Productive members of a team. Not experts - but then graduates of a 1 semester class aren't experts, either. That comes with time. But they can do more than your 1 semester classes can do.

>>> I've no doubt someone could, in theory, be a physics genius without
>>> knowing the names Newton and Einstein. But I suspect you will agree
>>> that the chances are about the same as winning the lottery.
>>
>> Of course. Knowing who Einstein or Newton were has nothing to do with
>> learning physics.
>
> That is utter and complete nonsense and you won't find a physics prof.
> on the planet who would agree with you.

Nope. No PROFESSOR will agree. But physicists will. That's the difference between those who teach and those who do.

>>> I am not impressed by arguments that go "well it is true for everyone
>>> else but it doesn't relate to us."
>>
>> I'm not at all impressed by your arguments.

I'm not at all impressed by any of your arguments.

> If you think I am trying to impress you, or even writing this in
> the hope of changing your mind you are engaged in a serious
> misunderstanding of my posts.

Quite frankly, I don't give a damn. You go ahead and teach. Let those who know, do it.

--
Remove the "x" from my email address