Re: OC4J JVM termination

From: Frank van Bortel <>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2007 21:15:57 +0100

Matthias Hoys wrote:
> "Frank van Bortel" <> wrote in message

>> Matthias Hoys wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>> I installed OC4J on RHEL to use as a reporting server together with Apex
>>> 3.0. The installation went fine, but I have 1 important problem. Whenever
>>> close the console session that started the oc4j process, the process gets
>>> terminated and there is the error "JVM termination" in the log files.
>>> Starting the process with "nohup ... &" doesn't help. There's an article
>>> on
>>> Metalink that suggests as a solution to add "-Xrs" as a java startup
>>> parameter, but that doesn't help either ...
>>> Anyone that had the same problem and a possible workaround ?
>>> Thanks
>>> Matthias
>> Just do not start any java processes - you do not need them
>> for APEX - all html generation takes place in the database,
>> just just need a server to stream them to your browser.
>> You could try to use the internal http server (XML-protocol
>> install needed, but it's there anyway - APEX requirement),
>> if security permits a 2-tier setup
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Frank van Bortel
>> Top-posting is one way to shut me up...

> I don't think I understand your reply :-)
> I followed the guide on
> to install OC4J to enable pdf generation from within Apex. It works fine,
> only the OC4J shuts itself down when I logoff. I don't want that :-)
> I know Apex works fine without OC4J but it needs a reporting server to
> generate pdf content.
> Matthias

OK - PDF is something else... Missed that (guess the Reporting Server should have triggered something).

What did you install, and what version?
OC4J standalone? WebCache and Java? 10.1.2/10.1.3 (crap!) or 10.1.4 (not tested yet)?
Did you actually use the OC4J standalone as advertised?

Is it the service console (you start from the command line, iirc?) that closes on you?

I once did a setup with HTMLDB 1.6, Apache FOP and 10.1.2 WC/J2EE. Worked like a charm - perhaps revert to 10.1.2 Webcache and J2EE? Pretty stable, and not a memory hog like 10.1.3