Re: OC4J JVM termination

From: Matthias Hoys <anti_at_spam.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2007 23:04:44 +0100

"Frank van Bortel" <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com> wrote in message news:c2e5f$477407f9$524b5c40$16099_at_cache3.tilbu1.nb.home.nl...

> Matthias Hoys wrote:
>> "Frank van Bortel" <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com> wrote in message

>>> Just do not start any java processes - you do not need them
>>> for APEX - all html generation takes place in the database,
>>> just just need a server to stream them to your browser.
>>>
>>> You could try to use the internal http server (XML-protocol
>>> install needed, but it's there anyway - APEX requirement),
>>> if security permits a 2-tier setup
>>>
>>> --
>>> Regards,
>>> Frank van Bortel
>>>
>>> Top-posting is one way to shut me up...
>>
>> I don't think I understand your reply :-)
>> I followed the guide on
>> http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/database/application_express/html/configure_printing.html
>> to install OC4J to enable pdf generation from within Apex. It works fine,
>> only the OC4J shuts itself down when I logoff. I don't want that :-)
>> I know Apex works fine without OC4J but it needs a reporting server to
>> generate pdf content.
>>

>> Matthias
>>

> OK - PDF is something else... Missed that (guess the Reporting
> Server should have triggered something).
>
> What did you install, and what version?
> OC4J standalone? WebCache and Java? 10.1.2/10.1.3 (crap!) or
> 10.1.4 (not tested yet)?
> Did you actually use the OC4J standalone 10.1.3.3 as advertised?
>
> Is it the service console (you start from the command line, iirc?)
> that closes on you?
>
> I once did a setup with HTMLDB 1.6, Apache FOP and 10.1.2 WC/J2EE.
> Worked like a charm - perhaps revert to 10.1.2 Webcache and J2EE?
> Pretty stable, and not a memory hog like 10.1.3
>
> --
> Regards,
> Frank van Bortel
>
> Top-posting is one way to shut me up...

I downloaded Standalone OC4J v10.1.3.3.0 (the last version), and I start it from a command prompt as follows (after setting the necessary environment variables as stated in the docs):

$ nohup java -Xsr -jar oc4j.jar &

The Xsr option was added based on a Metalink article. Still, when I logoff my session, the oc4j process dies ... I'm now using JDK 1.4.2. Maybe I should try 1.5.

Matthias Received on Thu Dec 27 2007 - 16:04:44 CST

Original text of this message