Re: Installing MS-SQL and Oracle into a same server

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Sat, 08 Dec 2007 10:05:21 -0800

Noons wrote:
> On Dec 6, 1:33 am, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:
>

>> Assuming 2CPUs, which is about the minimum for any serious server
>> the cost of that extra Windows license is how much compared with
>> $80K for the EE licenses?

> But it's still far more than just the server cost.
> Nowadays you can buy a dual cpu server for less than 3 grand.
> The Windows server EE licence for that will be more
> than the hardware. Then you got the additional IO subsystem
> required to add that server, plus the connectivity to the
> IO and network: that can get expensive, for servers.
>
> Makes entire sense to do so if you run production
> systems. But if all one wants is another development
> or function test server, then it is certainly a
> good idea to consolidate dbs into single servers.
>
>> Of course it is an approximation. I didn't include the extra cost
>> for air conditioning, power conditioning, battery backup, cat5
>> cable, etc. But it is close enough to reality to clearly demonstrate
>> my point: Oracle software is purchased, for the most part, by
>> enterprises not hotdog stands.

> Still don't agree. Oracle software is purchased by
> enterprises - whatever that means - and mid-sized
> companies. Those are far from hotdog stands
> and that image is not even in the ballpark.
> Yet, most of them have test and/or development
> servers which can certainly benefit from consolidation.
> And most such servers will have less than 10 users.

Put the Oracle database on Linux (free) which is where it belongs and the cost remains $0 for the operating system.

$3000 may be a lot of money for you and me. But it is pennies for a organization that is purchasing Oracle licenses, Windows licenses, servers, domain controllers, power conditioning, air conditioning, and paying the salary of someone such as yourself to manage it all.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
Oracle Ace Director & Instructor