Re: Installing MS-SQL and Oracle into a same server

From: NetComrade <netcomradeNSPAM_at_bookexchange.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 05:45:06 GMT

On Sat, 08 Dec 2007 10:05:21 -0800, DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org> wrote:

>Noons wrote:
>> On Dec 6, 1:33 am, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:
>>
>Put the Oracle database on Linux (free) which is where it belongs
>and the cost remains $0 for the operating system.
>
>$3000 may be a lot of money for you and me. But it is pennies for
>a organization that is purchasing Oracle licenses, Windows licenses,
>servers, domain controllers, power conditioning, air conditioning,
>and paying the salary of someone such as yourself to manage it all.

Most organizations put Oracle on Windows not because they want to, but because they don't have a unix admin on staff, and while $3K is tiny to them, having at least 1 or 2 engineers knowing what to do with a shell prompt goes up to 100-200K, and many don't like to outsource, b/c they've been burned by it.
We run Oracle 9iR2,10gR1/2 on RH4/RH3 and Solaris 10 (Sparc) remove NSPAM to email Received on Sun Dec 09 2007 - 23:45:06 CST