Re: Installing MS-SQL and Oracle into a same server

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2007 00:20:45 -0800 (PST)

On Dec 6, 1:33 am, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:

> Assuming 2CPUs, which is about the minimum for any serious server
> the cost of that extra Windows license is how much compared with
> $80K for the EE licenses?

But it's still far more than just the server cost. Nowadays you can buy a dual cpu server for less than 3 grand. The Windows server EE licence for that will be more than the hardware. Then you got the additional IO subsystem required to add that server, plus the connectivity to the IO and network: that can get expensive, for servers.

Makes entire sense to do so if you run production systems. But if all one wants is another development or function test server, then it is certainly a good idea to consolidate dbs into single servers.

> Of course it is an approximation. I didn't include the extra cost
> for air conditioning, power conditioning, battery backup, cat5
> cable, etc. But it is close enough to reality to clearly demonstrate
> my point: Oracle software is purchased, for the most part, by
> enterprises not hotdog stands.

Still don't agree. Oracle software is purchased by enterprises - whatever that means - and mid-sized companies. Those are far from hotdog stands and that image is not even in the ballpark. Yet, most of them have test and/or development servers which can certainly benefit from consolidation. And most such servers will have less than 10 users. Received on Sat Dec 08 2007 - 02:20:45 CST