Re: Storage problems with Oracle Blobs.

From: Jon <>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2007 09:24:16 -0800 (PST)

On 5 Dec, 16:34, DA Morgan <> wrote:
> Jon wrote:
> > When I run my software that adds rows to the table I connect with
> > another user which has the SYSDBA role.
> No user, ever, should have the SYSDBA role with the sole exception of
> SYS. And SYS should only be used, infrequently, for those specific jobs
> that require it's privileges.
> This is not just a violation of Oracle's "Least Privileges" rule it is
> a violation of any standard of security and governance.

Just because you have been institutionalised into a big corporate methodology that believes in a particular practice does not mean that it is a defacto standard.

> Do yourself and your employer a big favor and learn how to manage Oracle
> properly.

If you had bothered to read my post you would have understood that I am trying to learn about Oracle.

> By posting such insanity here you give newbies the impression that what
> you have done is acceptable: It is not.

As above, if you had bothered to read my post then you would know that I am a "newbie" (to Oracle at least) and who are you to determine from your institutionalised views what is acceptable and what is not ?

> --
> Daniel A. Morgan
> Oracle Ace Director & Instructor
> University of Washington
> (replace x with u to respond)
> Puget Sound Oracle Users

> gazzag
> Also, why do you insist on assigning the SYSDBA role to application
> logins?

@ gazzag : Thank you for taking the time to ask. I am designing some software that replicates database schema's between different database providers, I am working in a segregated environment where only I can access the Oracle server and client machines. Therefore I didn't need to spend the time understanding all of the relevant security rights that are needed to allow for such a piece of software to function.

The first query returns two rows, the usernames entered and USERS as the default_tablespace
The second query returns no rows selected

Regards, Jon. Received on Wed Dec 05 2007 - 11:24:16 CST

Original text of this message