Re: Storage problems with Oracle Blobs.

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2007 16:27:59 -0800

Jon wrote:

> On 5 Dec, 16:34, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:

>> Jon wrote:
>>> When I run my software that adds rows to the table I connect with
>>> another user which has the SYSDBA role.
>> No user, ever, should have the SYSDBA role with the sole exception of
>> SYS. And SYS should only be used, infrequently, for those specific jobs
>> that require it's privileges.
>>
>> This is not just a violation of Oracle's "Least Privileges" rule it is
>> a violation of any standard of security and governance.
>
> Just because you have been institutionalised into a big corporate
> methodology that believes in a particular practice does not mean that
> it is a defacto standard.

It isn't a question of defacto standard it is the law. Law enforceable with fines and jail time.

Try google with these:
Sarbanes-Oxley
HIPAA
FACTA
PIPEDA (Canada)
Electronic Storage of Broker-Dealer Records Gramm-Leach Bliley
Payment Card Industry (PCI)
FDA CFR 21 Pt 11
OMB Circular A-123
SEC Record Retention Regs
DOD Record Retention Regs
USA Patriot Act
Federal Sentencing Guidelines
Foreign Corrupt Practices Act
Market Instruments 52 (Canada)
EU Privacy Directives
UK Companies Law
ROHS/WEE (EMEA)
J-Sox (Japan)
CLERP-9 (Australia)
Corporate Disclosure Act (Australia)
Stock Exchange of Thailand Code of Corporate Governance International Accounting Standards
Basel II
OECD Guidelines on Corporate Governance

One of these even applies to hot dog stands ... FACTA ... so get a grip on reality. You are almost undoubtedly in violation of the law your country and jurisdiction.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
Oracle Ace Director & Instructor