Re: Storage problems with Oracle Blobs.

From: gazzag <gareth_at_jamms.org>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2007 04:20:38 -0800 (PST)

On 5 Dec, 17:24, Jon <bone..._at_gmail.com> wrote:

Comments embedded

> Just because you have been institutionalised into a big corporate
> methodology that believes in a particular practice does not mean that
> it is a defacto standard.

Er, it is considered best practice. In my experience, adopting best practice from the beginning, while taking slightly longer to get up and running, ensures a supportable system.

> If you had bothered to read my post you would have understood that I
> am trying to learn about Oracle.

Yet you say that you don't have time to learn the basics? Not the best way to learn, IMHO.

> As above, if you had bothered to read my post then you would know that
> I am a "newbie" (to Oracle at least) and who are you to determine from
> your institutionalised views what is acceptable and what is not ?

A newbie who seems unwilling to learn from experienced professionals and, rather than conforming to prescribed standards, would rather invent their own based on what experience exactly?

> @ gazzag : Thank you for taking the time to ask. I am designing some
> software that replicates database schema's between different database
> providers, I am working in a segregated environment where only I can
> access the Oracle server and client machines. Therefore I didn't need
> to spend the time understanding all of the relevant security rights
> that are needed to allow for such a piece of software to function.

As I said above, you seem unwilling - whether by time constraint or some other reason - to learn the basics. In my experience this leads to badly designed and poorly performing systems that, ultimately, mugs like me are then expected to support.

For that reason, I'm out. :)

> Regards, Jon.

HTH -g Received on Thu Dec 06 2007 - 06:20:38 CST