Re: why administrator refuse to give permission on PLUSTRACE

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2007 09:44:24 -0800

Hasta wrote:
> In article <1194206398.972648_at_bubbleator.drizzle.com>,
> damorgan_at_psoug.org says...

>> My point was that while the developers here seemed more than willing to
>> point fingers at incompetent DBAs from my experience the developers are
>> equally guilty of not keeping their skills current. Not more so ...
>> equally so.

> Well, honnestly, I haven't seen a lot of developpers
> in this group claiming that dbas are generally incompetent.
>
> I have seen them claiming that a dba is unlikely
> to find the root cause of an application problem
> alone, for reasons that are very understandable
> and unrelated to his/her competency.

You are dissembling. Identifying root causes on a production server is a core competency of the DBA job in the vast majority of organizations.

If you are trying to say that developers are trained in the use of StatsPack but DBAs are not I'd like to see that explicitly stated. If you think that developers, who by tradition are not allowed to see dba_ and v$ and gv$ views are trained to use them I would like to see that stated too. I think you have demonstrated substantial creativity not matched by reality.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington