Re: why administrator refuse to give permission on PLUSTRACE

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2007 09:50:31 -0800

Peter J. Holzer wrote:
> On 2007-11-04 20:00, DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org> wrote:

>> My point was that while the developers here seemed more than willing to
>> point fingers at incompetent DBAs

> I don't think that's the case. We merely pointed out that not all
> developers are incompetent and not all DBAs are competent.

I don't think that needs stating any more than that some people with driver's licenses are lousy drivers.

>> from my experience the developers are equally guilty of not keeping
>> their skills current. Not more so ...  equally so.

> I would even agree that the developers are more guilty of that, and that
> many of them not only don't keep their skills current, but have never
> aquired the necessary skills in the first place.

> I do think that every professional should know their tools. If a
> developer writes software that uses a database, he must know that
> database well enough to write reasonably efficient code in the first
> place and to identify and fix problems. If he doesn't, he should learn
> it, because that's his job.

Ok so far. But lets look at the tools used for identifying problems on a production database. Lets consider StatsPack. Is there a class taught by any organization, for developers that teaches the use of StatsPack? How about ASH and AWR? How about the wait interface? Can any developer, not also serving as a DBA, honestly say they know what columns are in gv$waitclassmetric_history or that they even knew the name of the view before I posted it here?

This thread started out with a developer wanting access to autotrace. Someone that can't get access to autotrace, unfortunately not that uncommon, is going to run and interpret a 10053 trace? I think you are trying too hard.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington